|The Angel in the entrance of the Church|
| View high resolution image (117KB)|
|Photo by John Kendall|
| ||All Souls Memorial Church was erected on the site of the Entrenchment where the British Forces were besieged during the mutiny.
The Cawnpore Memorial Church was built in 1875, in honour of the British who lost their lives in the war of 1857. The Church was designed by Walter Granville, architect of the east Bengal Railway. The complete Church in Lombardic gothic style is handsomely executed in bright red brick, with polychrome dressings. The interior contains monuments to the mutiny, including several memorial tablets.
In the separate enclosure to the east of the church is the Memorial Garden, approached through two gateways. Here the handsome carved gothic screen, designed by Henry Yule, stands. Its centre is occupied by the beautiful carved figure of an angel by Baron Carlo Marochetti, with crossed arms, holding palons, symbol of peace. Originally the statue and the screen stood in the Municipal Gardens in the centre of the city, over the site of the Bibighar well where the bodies of the massacred women and children were thrown. The memorials were relocated here after independence in 1948.
Inside is a memorial naming all those who died in Cawnpore during the Mutiny. These have been listed on a separate page.